Welcome to Jeremiadus – Fighting for a Kinder, Gentler America
An Experiment in Literary Democracy
Media Attacks and the News Desert
Innovation and Opportunity
Times That Try Our Souls
WA 5th a National Election
Bannon, Trump, and the New Nationalism
What’s New in the WA 5th Congressional District?
A Regional Community
WA 5th – A Political Legacy
Cathy McMorris Rogers
The Lisa Brown Campaign
Introducing Lisa Brown
The Cathy McMorris Rogers Campaign
Introducing Cathy McMorris Rogers
Rogers & Trump
The Money Trail
Issues that Matter to You
Education Desert (the Long Tail)
Health Care (reproductive rights, emotional health, drug addiction)
Infrastructure – integration, not isolation
Media and Technology
WA 5th Electoral History
Polls and Other Numbers
Parsing the National Polls
WA 5th Polling
Race and Ethnicity
Donald Trump and the Future of American Democracy
Rule of Law
Identity and Inclusion
Speech and Rhetoric
Civility and Community
WA 5th and the Nation
The Nation is our Neighborhood
The Courts and the Constitution
The Republican Party and the Nation
Moral Bankruptcy of the Republican Party
Party and Nation
Some History Lessons
The Importance of the Democratic Party
The Importance of the Media
News You Can Use
- Gorsuch Victory Lap Speech at the Federalist Society: Some Correctives November 19, 2017 As Politico reports, Neil Gorsuch on Thursday night delivered a victory lap speech at the annual conference of the Federalist Society. The article tells us that Gorusch’s big applause lines concerned his: Snide reproach to those who characterize the Federalist Society as a secret cabal scheming in darkness to infiltrate and control the federal judiciary; and Full-throated ...
- Stephen Moore Is Not A Real Economist: Why Does Anyone Listen to Him? November 3, 2017 When queried about why Donald Trump did not reappoint Janet Yellen as Chairman of the Federal Reserve, the Associated Press reported the following response from Trump economic whisperer, Stephen Moore. Stephen Moore, an economist at the Heritage Foundation who was a senior economic adviser to Trump’s campaign, said Trump wants someone who will support loosening regulations. ...
- The Incredible Lightness of Banning … Donald Trump from My News Feed July 25, 2017 I use Feedly to aggregate stories from about 80 publications, ranging from The New Yorker to Neatorama. On any given day, I scan 200 or 300 stories from this news feed. I select 50 or 60 of these stories to “Read Later” and use IFTTT to post them automatically to the Reading Room of my ...
- Freedom From "Fear Porn": In Defense of Cosmopolitan Elites, Polyglot Cultures, and Global Integration July 7, 2017 Much has already been written about Donald Trump’s speech to the Polish people earlier today. This speech, written (presumably) by White House fear-mongers Stephen Miller and Steve Bannon, adopts a dark and legitimately creepy Saruman-like vibe similar to Trump’s inaugural address. James Fallows commented on the shift in tone of this speech from famous (and infamous) ...
- Robby George's Primer on Natural Law: Let's Break It Down June 22, 2017 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. (Genesis, 1:28) In 2007, Professor Robert George, McCormick Professor of ...
We live in difficult times, more difficult, perhaps, then they should be. Or perhaps not. This website is dedicated to a multi-faceted exploration of complexity as a way to think about and interpret the challenges of our age. Its premise is is that virtually every assumption we make about our status and significance as humans is incorrect. This is our moment to reassess.
The video you see (generated by Mehrdad Garousi) illustrates the fractal / fragile beauty of our world as a recursive, layered, evolving orb of unfathomable complexity, an unfurling set in motion by a quite simple set of mathematical rules. That is the contradiction – creation as an existential messiness, liberated and disciplined by a self-contained, self-referential, abstract, and elegant logic.